Point #12 – Subject Line Strategies – Swipe Files
If you are unfamiliar with the term “swipe file” it is time to learn about this strategy. It is where you leverage/swipe a great idea from another marketer and use it for your own purpose. Master the art of powerful subject lines that throw the doors wide open.
One of the reasons I stay on many marketers’ lists is to get great subject line ideas. Some marketers are particularly good at getting me to open their emails, so I “swipe” their strategies.
I am a firm believer that you learn from the best and when you see something that works, it is smart to use it.
Two basic rules:
- Stay on topic – the subject must pertain to your niche. Don’t venture off into irrelevant subjects.
- Connect to the reader on an emotional level.
Below are a few lessons I have learned:
1. Make the Subject a Question. For example, let’s look at some subject lines that open the door for the “make money online” niche: Are you sick and tired of your job? Or…Is your boss always on your case? The readers immediately begin formatting the answers in their minds. In the two previous questions, readers often quickly answer “yes” to the questions and want to know how you can help them quit their jobs.
2. Command an Action from the reader. For example: Act now and get this once in a lifetime opportunity, or Double, triple and even quadruple what you are earning in one year…
3. Use Current Topics. This commands attention from readers and can intrigue them enough to open the message to find out what you have to say about the subject. For example, you sell cars and have a list of people interested in cars with high fuel economy. Your subject may read: Announcing the new engine that uses no gasoline – it runs on water! It piques the reader’s curiosity which motivates them to read the “rest of the story.”
Look for ideas everywhere. In particular, watch the marketing experts in your niche and swipe their ideas. Tweak them to make sense in your business and watch your open rates skyrocket.
You don’t have to reinvent the wheel…just roll with it!