SEO Is Important
The previous post, Keywords Are Critical, is directly connected to the focus of this post – Search Optimization Engine (SEO).
SEO is important to your success. It is an online marketing technique that helps ensure your web pages will rank high in the search engines.
A high page rank is the easiest way for people to find you through an online search (AKA organic traffic). When they search the web for keywords related to your niche, you want them to find your site listed on the first page of Google and other search engines. SEO will help make that happen.
SEO is not something that just happens, you have to make it happen. You must take all of the steps noted in the above graphic.
- Optimize Your Website – There are many websites, books and articles on how to do this. A good place to start is with JM Internet Group. There are also plug-ins that can help you as well. One that I particularly like is: WordPress SEO by Yoast.
- Build Backlinks – See note below and actively engage in building these.
- Monitor Visitors – Google Analytics is excellent (and free)
- Analyze Results – Use the data to decide what is working and what is not working.
The result you want from all this effort is as follows: When someone searches for a keyword such as Eye Makeup, your web site will have good chance of appearing as one of the top 10 or even the top 5 results when your website has been search engine optimized.
A fairly simple Wikipedia explanation of the search engine process for ranking is shown below:
Search engines use complex mathematical algorithms to guess which websites a user seeks. In this diagram, if each bubble represents a web site, programs sometimes called spiders examine which sites link to which other sites, with arrows representing these links. Websites getting more inbound links, or stronger links, are presumed to be more important and what the user is searching for. In this example, since website B is the recipient of numerous inbound links, it ranks more highly in a web search.
Below are three effective techniques that will help:
- Article Writing – This technique requires that you fill your web page with well-written articles that are rich in keywords and keyword phrases related to your market niche. However, you can’t just write one post and forget it. You must post regularly for the search engines to take you seriously.
- Backlinks – These are hyperlinks placed on other web sites that “link back” to your web pages. A large number of solid, quality backlinks increase your chances of making it to the top of the search engine results.
- Cross linking – This is hyperlinking between pages of the same website to provide more links to important pages. I can be an effective way to improve visibility.
As a closing note . . . Mobile Search has jumped to the front of the line in techniques and should be included in your SEO.
As of May 2015 more people are searching via their mobile phones that desktop searches. Google is pushing mobile search, which is creating the need from a different approach to Internet strategies.
Leave a Reply